samedi 7 mars 2015

Living with Indians 02

Chapter 2

Once I would succed my second summer session, I was planning to start working on my projects.
So from the piles of pages, I try to sort things out... A hard task, because during those years of graphic design studies, I took a lot of notes about ideas of stories for children and comics books/ graphic novels... Where to start? These Indians, well, they lend on the pile of the ones I want to start with... But once more, only Little Dark Cloud seems to appear, just like in the school works... At the time I think I forgot a bit the other one... So I tried to decide what would be the final version of its appearence... For some time...
But work comes to an end....


By the end of septembre 2007, I've been asked to color flats for some pages of a book of the comic book serie named "Alix"... Well, not really me, it's a acointance from art college who's one of the colorists, and he knows he won't meet the dead line... So...
You need to know that colorist is a bit the ugly little duck from the comic book industry. Indeed it is not so well paid, you spend lots of time for not so much money. The worst thing being that when an album is going to be published, there is a time set for the whole process to be ready for printing. So you need to have the story written, story boarded, then you do the pencilling, the inking and then the colorist can -finally!- start his work.
But if the previous steps took more time, the the colorist get less time to do his job... A job that take a lot of time, trust me! I took me one day to do one page and being paid 10$ (which is the actual price for a flatter). Lucky me, I was just an off-the-book colorist (my named in not mentoinned in the book), so no taxes on that money...
A job I got later again that year for pages of two other albums.

Once these pages done, I could finally resume my work! I decided to create a children book, alledgely it should take less time... But meanwhile I am also back to school to get a degree to be able to teach and I am looking for a job. Few month pass without that much progress... Then in february 2008, a school calls me, then another and suddenly I don't have much time at all to spend on my ideas...Only writing more and more ideas. Summer comes, I spend time with my girlfriend, working a bit on some ideas, on the style of those indians, as I am away from home without my first visuals, I try to recreate them...

Nothing serious...

September comes, I am hired full time in a school, but I spend a lot of time again to get to work, nothing moves... Until summer vacations, until the day I fanilly work on what could be the first page of a comic book, introducing Little Dark Cloud. It's july 2009, the first page is done, it's not perfect, but still, it's colorised and ready to be shown to some people to get their advice. Some things need to be changed, but on to even with all the ideas I have, do I have enough material to make an album?
The things is that I want to make also a web comic, I have ideas to eventually adapt the characters... But do I have the time? What about being published?
 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire