samedi 21 mars 2015

Living with Indians 04

Chapter 4

I was looking then to self publishing options, with websites proposing print on demand, it was possible to create my own book, as I wanted without having it denied by publishing houses. I could even do all my projects this way. Being my own master!
The downside of it were the sizes of the books they proposed, rarely A4 and also the fact that a hard cover was very expensive... You have to understand that where I'm from the comic books mainly have this kind of covers... So people have a tendecy to think a bit less of soft covers comic books...


Finally, I thought I found a good compromise, that gave me some courage to resume my work. And in November and December 2014, I completed the pencilling, managing to complete half of the inking in the mean time. I was back to a high level of production, sometime pencilling 4 pages a day or inking 6 pages in the same amount of time.

In the mean time, I was piling new ideas about the project, new prospects for the storylines, revamping the name, preparing the next volumes. Next volumeS? Yes, next volumeS! I already had leftover pages from the first volume, but with big hopes -or big dreams- I had more ideas coming. And while working on the fonts for the definitive layout, how to make the gags form a story, sort of...

Unfortunately I found out that the print on demand company I spotted would create a very expensive book and it was almost impossible to make some profit out of it... Not that I am doing that for the money, just that I would like to get something back, at least to pay the people that were helping me to make the flats or pay for some of my materials and the eventual expenses linked to the book...

Indeed, since I was a child I wasn't that much into coloring, and since the gig as a flatter I hated coloring! It took sooooo much time! And it was killing my patience... So when friends of mine offered to help, I couldn't say no, but I proposed to pay them. A work so hard for nothing, I thought it was the least to reward them for their help...

But having their own life, flats were not fast coming. For some time I didn't care. I didn't know where to go with the book once it would be done. You see, some people do and then see what they can do with it, me I can't, I need to know where I am heading, and having no good way to publish my book, I was going nowhere, so doing nothing...

That was a problem, indeed I was shedulding the album for end of 2015... We were in january... And I was looking at options to ensure my project a good distribution, but wherever I looked prices were too high or the distribution was not good, or I had to make some compromises...

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire